At Terrace Pharmacy, an established pharmacy in Islip Terrace, New York, we highly encourage proper medication management. But, what is it? Why is it important? What are its benefits? To know the answers to these questions, please keep on reading:
What is Medication Management?
Medication management is a service intended to help individuals manage their medications. With medication management, patients can take the right medication, with the right dose and at the right time, helping them avoid the dangers of incorrect medication administration.
For some people, simple reminders such as setting an alarm is enough to ensure that they take their medications on time. However, some patients may require consistent reminders and assistance. For instance, in nursing homes, residents receive medication management services from trained staff to ensure that their prescriptions are filled on time and that all medications are taken correctly every day.
Why is it Important?
Did you know? Research shows that medication non-adherence has a drastic impact on one’s overall health. It has a significant impact on the health care system as well. Medication non-adherence can lead to health decline, death, and increased health care costs. ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3191684/ )
- Approximately 700,000 people experience negative side effects to their medications that land them in an emergency room.
- An estimated $290 billion is the cost each year of patients who fail to take their medications properly.
- On average, about 50% of patients in the U.S. do not take their medications properly and around 33% don’t fill their prescription at all.
What are the Benefits of Medication Management?
Medication management is an important tool in managing your health, as well as your health care costs. Its benefits also include:
- Improved administration of all medications
- Improved patient use
- Reduced side effects and drug interactions
- Peace of mind for the patients and their families as there’s assurance that medications are taken correctly.
- Reduced illness and death
- Decreased medical costs (i.e. costs spent on emergency room visits and hospitalizations)
Whether someone neglects to drink their medication because they think they no longer need it, or because they forgot to take it, the fact is, medication non-adherence can lead to serious consequences. Through medication management, patients can get the medications that they need with the right dose and at the right time.
If you are looking for quality pharmacy services and health care services in New York, don’t hesitate to reach out to Terrace Pharmacy for more information.